A Clear Guide to the PMP® Exam Requirements
If you're thinking about a Project Management Professional (PMP)® qualification, you've probably heard about the PMP® requirements. The PMP® credential is designed for very experienced project managers.
As such, it has specific eligibility requirements. We have created this article to give you a breakdown of these requirements so that you can make an informed decision about choosing to achieve a PMP® credential.
Covered In this Article:
- PMP® Qualification: Fast Facts
- What are the PMP® Exam requirements?
- Next Steps: Sounds Right for You?
- Don't Have Enough Experience for the PMP® Exam?
- Other Project Management Certification Options
- Need More Guidance?
PMP® Qualification: Fast Facts
If you’re at the start of your research about the PMP® credential, here are some useful points to note:
- The Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential is one of the most widely-recognised and best-respected project management qualifications worldwide.
- The PMP® credential is awarded by the Project Management Institute, Inc. (PMI)®.
- It was designed by the PMI® in the early 1980s as a qualification specifically for experienced project managers. As such, PMP® credential holders are known to be accomplished project management professionals.
- There were 932, 720 active PMP® certified individuals as of August 2019 (source, Wikipedia).
- The PMP® exam is based around the PMI’s flagship publication, A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide).
Want more in-depth knowledge about PMP® Qualification?
To find out more about the PMP® qualification, we recommend taking a look at our article, "PMP® Certification: Everything You Need to Know". If you want to learn more about how exam preparation for the PMP® Exam works, click below to visit our course page or download the PDF brochure.
What are the PMP® Exam Requirements?
The PMP® credential is suited to seasoned project managers and requires documented experience of actively managing and working on projects.
There are 2 routes of eligibility when applying to sit your PMP® exam:
Route 1 is a great option for those who do not hold a 4-year degree. It does, however, require a longer period of documented project management experience:
- Leaving Certificate or international equivalent (a high school diploma).
- 5+ years of documented project management experience (with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects).
- 35 hours of formal project management training.
Route 2 requires less project management experience, but a higher education degree:
- A 4-year bachelor’s degree or international equivalent.
- 3+ years of documented project management experience (with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects).
- 35 hours of formal project management training.
35 Hours of Project Management Training
Next Steps: Sounds Right for You?
If you feel that you fit the eligibility requirements, the next step is to start preparing to apply for, and sit your PMP® Exam.
With our 4-day PMP® Exam Preparation Course, you're gaining the following benefits:
- High quality training from a PMI® Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.).
- Access to our online PMP® exam simulator.
- Focused course format for optimum training impact.
- Training from experienced PMP® credential holders.
- Satisfying the PMI® eligibility requirement to undertake 35 hours of project management training.
Up to 25% Off Virtual PMP® Exam PrepWe’re currently offering up to 25% off Live Virtual Classroom Training*.
Reserve your place our PMP® Exam Preparation Course and begin working towards your PMP® Certification from home.
*discount cannot be combined with any other voucher or offer.
Don’t Have Enough Experience for the PMP® Exam?
If you don't meet the PMP® eligibility requirements, there are some excellent alternatives. Our top suggestion is to consider the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®.
CAPM® Certification: Fast Facts
- The CAPM® Certification is also awarded by the PMI®.
- It is a popular choice for anyone who wants to learn the PMI’s PMBOK® Guide framework, but who doesn’t have the experience to satisfy PMP® requirements.
- We run our CAPM® and PMP® exam preparation courses together. This means that if you’re unsure of your eligibility, you can consult with our trainer during the course, and decide during training which certification is right for your career right now.
- You can learn more about the CAPM® Certification and our exam preparation course by using the buttons below.
Other Project Management Training Options
If you're not ready for the PMP® credential, and the CAPM® certification doesn't feel like the right fit for your career, take a look at some other project managment certification options:
Certified Project Management (QQI Level 6)
Agile Master Certified
PRINCE2® Foundation + Practitioner
Scrum Master Certified
Need More Guidance?
If you're unsure which course is right for you, we'll be happy to work with you to find the best solution.
You can get in touch with our training consultants by phone at Freephone 1800 910 810 (Monday - Thursday, 9.00am - 5.30pm, Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm).
Alternatively, click below to request a call back or ask us about which course is best for you.
Examination fee of $405 (USD) for PMI® members and $555 (USD) for non-members (paid directly to the PMI®). (This is an indicative cost. Please check www.pmi.org for current details.)