What is a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt?
Published, 30th May 2022
Finding the right course and certification for your lean six sigma training can require a bit of research.
If you’re just beginning your research, this article is an excellent starting point.
We answer the question "What is a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt?" by looking at the role of a yellow belt and who is suited to this role.
We also offer guidance on getting trained and certified, and provide resources for information on other lean six sigma roles and belts.
Get a Guide to Yellow Belts Instantly
Download our PDF Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt brochure for an introduction to the role.
This brochure also contains full details about our yellow belt training and how you can get started.
Table of Contents
What are lean six sigma belts?
“Belts” are simply a way of categorising the different levels of knowledge, capability, and certification different lean six sigma practitioners possess.
There are 5 main belt levels:
- White belt – has a general comprehension of process improvement and lean six sigma.
- Yellow belt – has a strong foundational understanding of lean six sigma. Can run smaller process improvement projects and contribute to larger projects.
- Green belt – possesses a confident capability with lean six sigma tools and techniques. Can run more complex, larger scale projects than yellow belts. Coaches and mentors yellow belts.
- Black belt – advanced lean six sigma practitioner with plenty of experience. Leads cross-departmental and large-scale process improvement initiatives. Coaches and mentors all other belt levels.
- Master black belt – a progression for those at black belt level. Master black belts can achieve the highest level of strategic improvements. They usually work as consultants.
What does a yellow belt do?
Lean six sigma yellow belt practitioners are valuable to any organisation.
They can run smaller process improvement projects, ideal for improving things within their own role or team.
With their solid lean six sigma knowledge, they are strong contributors to any larger initiative, supporting green and even black belts in their work.
Is yellow belt the right certification for you?
If you’re at the beginning of your lean six sigma learning and certification and are looking for a shorter, introductory course, yellow belt is the perfect place to begin.
Through completing a yellow belt training like ours, you will gain:
- A clear and useful introduction to lean and six sigma.
- Practical skills you can begin using immediately within your own work.
- A lean six sigma yellow belt certification.
We recommend yellow belt for those who:
- Are curious about lean six sigma, but don’t want to jump in with a more extensive course right away.
- Don’t have time to commit to our longer, green belt training (see below).
- Would like to combine process improvement techniques with another role. For example, it is a great option for project managers expanding their capabilities.
- Wish to slowly build their lean six sigma knowledge and certifications over time.
Looking for a more in-depth starting point?
Our lean six sigma green belt course is also suitable for those who are beginners or only possess a little process improvement experience.
It is a 5-day programme, which includes assessment work in the 8 weeks following training.
How can you become a yellow belt?
One of the reasons our yellow belt course is so popular, is that it is an efficient, convenient way to get started with continuous improvement.
Here is how you can become a yellow belt in a short time span:
1. Attend our 2-day Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Course
Participants find the short, focused timeframe for this course a real plus. We cover plenty of material during this time.
2. Complete the Exam on Day 2
There will be an open book exam during the second day of training.
The goal of this exam is to ascertain that you have absorbed and understood the theory and practical techniques covered during training.
3. Receive your Certification
We will email you a Professional Development Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification following training.
Why Choose Our Yellow Belt Course?
There are a number of excellent yellow belt courses available at the moment. Here are some of the things our students repeatedly tell us they love about our approach:
1. Supportive Course Materials
We send you supportive course materials in advance, including slides, templates, and other useful supporting documents.
2. Exceptional Trainers
Our trainers are one of the greatest assets of this course.
Not only do they have a wealth of lean six sigma experience and black belt level qualifications; they also bring such enthusiasm to every course.
4. An Interactive Style
We take a very practical approach to the course, including plenty of discussions and exercises alongside the necessary theory.
Our students always comment on how engaging their trainers were and how this supported the impact of their learning.
5. Discussions & Group Exercises
We encourage questions and discussions throughout.
The diverse nature of our public scheduled courses means that you’ll gain the perspectives and ideas of participants from a wide range of backgrounds.
6. Versatile Skills Acquired
The skills we cover during this programme can be applied to any working environment.
6. Knowledge Focused
As mentioned above, your certification is gained by an open book exam on Day 2.
Taking the pressure off with access to notes and resources helps students to focus on absorbing the knowledge for practical use, rather than learning by heart simply to pass an exam.
7. Yellow Belt Certification
Achieving a yellow belt certification is a way to underline your knowledge and credibility.
It marks your first step on a lean six sigma / process improvement journey.
8. A Convenient Format
Our live virtual classroom has proven so convenient and effective in the past two and a half years, that we have opted to continue running our public courses in this format.
Students from all over Ireland and abroad can easily join training without leaving home.
Online access, eliminates travel time and reduces the workload upon your return, as you will have more time to check in on emails and tasks on training days.
9. Options for Progression
We offer courses and certifications for each stage of your lean six sigma development.
Our yellow belt students often return to complete green and finally black belt training as they feel ready.
Further reading and resources
If you have further questions or would like to learn more about the different options available, we’re here to help.
Here are 3 next steps:
1. Get Advice
Get in touch with our consultants for advice specific to your situation. We can offer guidance on whether yellow belt is the right option for you right now.
2. Get our Guide
Download our 16-page Guide to Lean Six Sigma to learn more about this process improvement approach, the courses available, and how you can begin your development.
3. Read On
Our lean six sigma blog is continually updated with articles and guides to support your learning and decision-making process.
Here are some great choices for your next reading material:
You can also keep up to date with our newest articles, upcoming dates, and special offers by opting in to our updates.
We don’t email often and we make sure to send you useful information when we do.