What is a Special Purpose Award?
"Special Purpose Award" is a category within the QQI portfolio of award types. It is an award given for areas of skill that have a very specific and clearly-defined purpose.
The QQI Special Purpose Award in Training and Development is probably the best-known of all QQI Special Purpose Awards.
Why is it so popular?
- It encapsulates the two courses that fall under the “Train the Trainer” heading.
- It is widely recognised and respected.
- It equips those who have completed the programme with the essential skills and knowledge needed to be successful as a professional trainer.
Achieving this Special Purpose Award in Training and Development is a way to show potential clients and employers that you hold a full spectrum of professional training skills.
In this article, we explore how and why you should achieve the QQI Special Purpose Award in Training and Development.
Jump to Any Section
What is covered in this Special Purpose Award?
Before we get into the benefits of this particular award, let’s take a high level overview of how the award is structured. For full details, we recommend downloading our PDF brochure.
The QQI Special Purpose Award in Training & Development is comprised of two components:
These components are designed to cover each stage of the Training Cycle, a framework that supports a best-practice approach to training.
There are 4 stages in the Training Cycle:
- Stage 1: Identify Training Needs
- Stage 2: Design Training
- Stage 3: Deliver Training
- Stage 4: Training Evaluation
You can read about the Training Cycle in more depth by heading over to our article, “Master The Training Cycle”.
In a nutshell, the Cycle covers all elements needed to provide meaningful and effective training for students. Gaining the Special Purpose Award will give you confidence and competence in following the steps of this cycle.
6 Benefits of this Special Purpose Award
1. Certification with Credibility
Combining two QQI Level 6 awards to gain this Special Purpose Award will communicate to clients and employers that you are accomplished in the skills required by professional trainers.
The two QQI Level 6 awards that make up the QQI Special Purpose Award in Training & Development (award code: 6S3372) are:
- QQI Training Needs Identification & Design (award code: 6N3325)
- QQI Training Delivery & Evaluation (award code: 6N3326)
2. Training Needs Analysis Skills
Identifying the training needs of learners is a vital skill for any professional trainer.
An accurate TNA (training needs analysis) ensures that you’ll be focusing on the right training objectives throughout your design and delivery.
You’ll gain this key ability through completing QQI Training Needs Identification & Design.
3. Training Design, Delivery, and Evaluation Skills
The syllabus for both courses works towards establishing best-practice methods and promoting excellence in training at all stages of the Training Cycle.
4. Learn to work with Group Dynamics & Cope with Challenging Situations
These Train the Trainer courses address ways of handling difficult situations as they arise. You also learn about group dynamics and how to work with different kinds of learner groups.
These are practical skills you will need for success in your career or role as a trainer.
5. Gain Confidence and Capability
Our combined approach of practical and theoretical learning ensures that you feel ready to tackle the design and delivery of a training course.
Through gaining theoretical knowledge and having the opportunity to apply new skills to practical demonstrations, you'll begin to get into your stride with training delivery very quickly.
6. Support & Feedback
Training in our virtual classroom environment gives you access to support, feedback, and advice from our expert trainers.
You'll also gain the advantage of different perspectives and fresh ideas from your fellow classmates.
Here’s what some of our recent QQI Special Purpose Award students had to say about their experience.
How can you achieve this Special Purpose Award?
As mentioned earlier, the Training & Development Special Purpose Award is comprised of 2 components:
- Training Needs Identification & Design (6N3325) - 3 Days
- Training Delivery & Evaluation (6N3326) - 4 Days
Here are some fast facts about how we run these components:
- We run both components as standalone courses, meaning that you can complete either one or both components. It also means that you can take a break between components.
- You can complete both of these components (courses) in whichever order works best for you.
- Gaining these 2 minor awards will automatically earn the Training & Development Special Purpose Award (6S3372).
- Our courses are delivered by Train the Trainer experts, with a proven track record in professional training.
- Our current Train the Trainer pass rate of 99.6%* speaks for itself.
- With live virtual training dates every month, you can attend a classroom-style course online from wherever you are based.
Where to Begin?
We are often asked, which component should be completed first. The answer is different, depending on your goals, experience, and schedule.
You can begin with either course, but for expert advice, we recommend speaking with our training consultants who can recommend the starting point that will make most sense for your career.
You can call us at Freephone 1800 910 810 or Dublin 01 861 0700 or click below to ask a question online.
Get Online Training Dates + 25% Off
Our Train the Trainer courses are among the most popular we offer, with dates available all year-round.
Both courses are delivered via our live virtual classroom platform. This means that you can gain all the benefits of a classroom environment – live delivery, interaction with an experienced trainer, feedback, and group activities – all while connecting from home.
Over the past year in particular, we have seen an increased demand for this Training Needs Identification & Design course. Demand has been so high that we have added additional dates in May.
Reserve a provisional place on any upcoming date by using the "Reserve" buttons below.
Our hugely popular Training Delivery & Evaluation course has dates every month. It is a 4-day course, usually delivered with a gap between Days 1, 2 and Days 3, 4.
This course usually fills up months in advance, so we recommend using the "Reserve" buttons below to hold your place on a preferred date.
25% Off Your Special Purpose AwardWe’re currently offering up to 25% off Live Virtual Classroom Training*.
Reserve a place our Training Needs Identification & Design or Training Delivery & Evaluation and begin your Special Purpose Award from home.
*discount cannot be combined with any other voucher or offer.
* based on all students within a 30-month period, calculated May 2020