What makes a professional trainer effective?
If you’re thinking about becoming a trainer, it’s helpful to reflect on the key skills required by this role. The characteristics listed below will help you to decide if being a trainer will suit your strengths, and if it is a role you will enjoy.
It’s important to note that you don’t need all of the skills listed - you can gain many of them through training and practice. Our goal is to give you a sense of what’s involved in the day-to-day work of a trainer, so that you can make an informed decision about whether it’s the right career move for you.
A Professional Trainer Must...
- Identify training needs successfully.
- Be organised and fully prepared for training delivery.
- Be ready to change and adapt, always thinking on their feet.
- Have confidence speaking in public.
- Have the ability to remain focused.
- Design effective and engaging training programmes.
- Be able to handle difficult situations and complex group dynamics.
- Have a thorough understanding of the programme subject matter.
- Communicate clearly at all times.
- Be patient.
- Practice good time management.
- Evaluate the outcome of training programmes.
Sounds Right for You?
3 Ways to Get Started
If you think that training would be the right next step for your career, it’s time to start gaining the skills and certification you’ll need to become a professional trainer.
1. Learn More About Our Train the Trainer Courses
Our Train The Trainer courses are designed to equip you with the skills you need to become a certified, professional trainer. Each course focuses on a different skill set for your portfolio, including training design, delivery, and evaluation.Click here to visit our Train the Trainer Courses Page...
2. Talk to Us
You can click below to ask us a question about your route to becoming a certified, professional trainer.
If you'd prefer to chat with one of our training consultants by phone, you can reach us at Freephone 1800 910 810 or 01 861 0700.
Download a Guide
You can get details about our Train the Trainer courses and save these guidelines for training best-practice characteristics by downloading our Guide, "Do You Have What it Takes to Be a Trainer?". Click below to download the guide.